Sunday, October 25, 2009

Paris - Day 1



Food. That's all I have for tonight. It's my first night in Paris and all I have are pictures, not much to talk about yet. But I did have a very delicious foccacia bread type of pizza with cheese, tomato and zucchini as a late lunch. Steph, Michael and I sat on a bench munching and reminisced about gypsies and mugging incidents during past visits to the city.



We've settled in our apartment located in the first district, quite central to the shops and some landmarks. It is a cozy place with splashes of blue curtains and a cherry red couch on white wooden floors. There are two rather interesting King Tut bust lamps on either side of my sofa bed. For 150 EURO per night this place isn't bad compared to hotels within the same area. It will be our humble abode for the next three days.

Tomorrow we are planning to go to an open air market that sells antique and vintage wares. Then off to the landmarks: Eiffel Tower, Jardin du Luxembourg, Paris Opera, and possibly the Louvre. Somewhere in between I hope to visit a patisserie and feast on pistachio macarons and buttery sweet madeleines. After all, it's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to ... just let it be over confectionary delights worthy of Marie Antoinette!

I've never been up to the Eiffel Tower. I think I may go alone up there tomorrow, considering my 8-month pregnant friend and her concerned husband. Hopefully, the view from the top will be so overwhelmingly stunning that I'll forget the very tired label of this place as the city of l'amour. I say, make it the city of perfectly made croissant chocolat and impeccably, effortlessly dressed people.



Or it could simply just be the place where I start a new decade, a new beginning in my life. Yes, my thirtieth autumn -- in Paris. I quite like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment